A small restaurant no longer in business had a luncheon offering I’ve often thought of replicating. When I saw this recipe in a local newspaper, I decided to try it. As good as the dish I remembered, the taste has the sweetness of watermelon and the tartness of cheese, with the complement of cucumber and mint.
Watermelon Salad with Cucumber, Feta, and Mint
- 3 1/2 cups chilled, seedless watermelon cubes (cut into bite-size pieces)
- 1 medium English cucumber, peeled and diced into 1/2 inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons fresh mint leaves, thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons crumbles feta cheese
- 2 tablespoons balsamic glaze (found in the vinegar aisle of the grocery store)
Scatter watermelon on a medium platter. Top with cucumber and mint. Sprinkle with cheese. Drizzle with glaze and serve immediately.
Chef Jacques Pépin adds kalamata olives – maybe next time I will too.