In the eggnog, soaked in the fruitcake, between the layers of an Italian sponge cake – rum is the defining ingredient for me at Christmas. A home ec major – they don’t have those anymore – introduced me to rumballs, and they became the family project every year.
Gingerbread houses could fall, sugar cookies might not make it out of the cutters, but rumballs always were a success.
And, if they were a little dry – just add more rum…
Ta Rum Pa Pum Pum – Recipe for Rumballs
- 1 box vanilla wafers crumbs – crushed in blender or whacked in plastic bag
- 1 bag chopped pecans (at least 8 oz – could go to 16 oz if you like nuts)
- 1 box powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa
- about 3/4 cup white corn syrup (I know it’s bad for you, but you’re only going to use it this once)
- about 1/2 cup or more of good quality rum
Mix the dry ingredients together. Make a well in the middle and pour in the corn syrup and rum. Mix well. If too sticky, add more powdered sugar. If too dry, add more rum. Roll into small balls; dip into powdered sugar or chocolate sprinkles.
Best part – licking your hands and fingers when done.